Sunday, September 6, 2009

Day 1 - A Nice Start

Welcome to Ric’s 2009 Paris adventure blog. My companion on this trip is Dale Wilson. This will be the second time we are traveling to Paris. We were just there last October.

We arrived at the airport early and I was glad we did because we had to battle with the airline people (as usual) over bicycle baggage fees. They wanted to charge $150 per bike eash way and we said it was only $100. As it turns out, we didn’t have to pay anything since the bike could go as the second free bag on international flights. This ends on 9/14 so we dodged a $300 bullet.

The flight was very nice with no bumps except that my window seat had no window. I spent my 7 hours and 28 minutes in the air by learning how to use my new Cateye V2c computer and my Oregon Scientfic video camera. To end the flight, I perused the latest Velonews magazine. My employer wanted me to study test questions for a Cisco Systems certification exam. Yeah, like that was really going to happen.

Charles de Gaulle airport is a massive high 70s structure. After going through customs, Dale mistakenly led us out of the baggage area into the public area without getting our stuff. We just strolled back in without going through security and nobody tackled us or anything. Thank God for that.

Thank God again for free carts (unlike O’hare). The bike box weighed 60 lbs and the suitcase was about 40lbs. We had to walk a really long way to get to the trains. Once we got there, there were barriers to the escalators so nobody drives a motorcycle with a bomb through there would be one guess. Getting the luggage through there was fun.

It was about a 30 minute train ride to the Gare du Nord train station. We immediately got a taxi and I didn’t waste any time annoying off the cab driver by blocking his view to the rear view mirror with my tourist map not once, not twice, but three times according to Francois.

We arrived at the Hôtel Ascot Opéra to meet our friend Antoine at the counter. He was very happy to see the ciclistes. It’s not the nicest hotel but their staff are very friendly and charming. Antoine gave us free Internet access for our entire stay. Who says Parisian don’t like Americans?

We assembled the bikes in the lobby since the room is very small. It was very nice getting out on the Parisian streets again. It is definitely a very urban experience. Being from Chicago, I do not have a problem with that. You will not get any speed work or any extended periods of riding here. What you will get is endless eye candy. Second Empire architecture abounds. Lots of hustle and bustle. Thousands of little shops everywhere. Plenty of people on bikes.

The blocks are extremely short. The street names change frequently and they are posted on small signs on the buildings so it can be a little confusing getting around. Be sure to have a map handy at all times. I have found the people to be very nice and helpful and we have consulted them to help us on our way.
The first place we hit was Cycles Laurent, a local bike shop. The space was a little small but they had all sorts of pictures and posters on the wall including photographs of Bernard Hinault and Eddy Merckx. They gave us directions to the Jacques Anquetil Velodrome in Vincennes. We were then on our way to the track.

I thought the instructions from the bike shop guy weren’t all that direct but I found out why. We came up on the the Chateau de Vincennes. Wow. Among the ancient structures including a Gothic cathedral, it contains the oldest existing residence of a sovereign in France. It was completed in the mid 1300s. It the oldest structure I have ever seen.

We then set out to find the velodrome. Oh my god, what a nightmare. The Bois de Vincennes park had so many criss-crossing paths and streets. It was very easy to get turned around and wind up on the other side of the park. They had maps but it was only partially helpful. We finally got to the track and some racing had apparently just ended. They were having an awards ceremony with flowers. The track itself looked like it was made of concrete. It has pretty steep banking but the straights are very flat. It’s longer than the Northbrook Velodome. It could be 500 meters long but I am not sure.

I tried to ask if I could rent a track bike and race but the language barrier was too great. They certainly did not want us to ride out road bikes out there. Oh well.

We rode back into Paris and arrived at the Georges Pompidou Center. It’s a 70’s building designed with all the ventilation piping and other structures visible on the outside of the building. It’s not very attractive but considered artistic. Lots of people were in the plaza there with street performers. There was one guy that looked like a statue and he would stand perfectly still and move when people got close.

We rode back to the hotel and I was totally wiped out. I didn’t sleep on the plane. I wanted to go to sleep but it was only 7 P.M. and that would not have been good. I took a nice long shower, surfed the Internet a little, and headed out to a restauranrt down the street. I ordered the veal and Dale ordered a steak dish. Both meals were succulent. I don’t know how they make the beef taste so good but I like it.

I tried to write this last night but I went immediately to sleep. There’s no way I could have typed all of this anyway. Well, this has been a lot of typing. Until next time. Bonsoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment